Shon's family and Kenyon's family and John and I are going to have a garden in New Harmony this summer. So, last week, our Family Home Evening was to go down and help Vernile with a big pine tree that needed to be cut down for several reasons. Vernile cut the tree down and the branches off and John and Shon pulled the branches out of the way for the tree shredders to come and make them into mulch. I pulled a couple of branches, but mostly visited with Delora. Clyde Hunt came and tilled the garden and Shon and John got manure from Verniles field and brought it up to the garden and then good old Clyde tilled it again. So, when we went down last night, it was all ready for rows and planting. Kenyon and Kara couldn't come because Kara was tending their friends kids and Kenyon worked late. I'm sure they will have plenty of opportunities later to do their share. We planted tomatoes, peppers, (salsa, here we come), corn, squash, cukes, and onions. When I go on Wednesday, Quinn and I will water and check on it. Hope it turns out ok and that we can have enough to do all the things we want to do with it.
Shon, John and Vernile working hard.
John and Vernile
John, planting onions.
Shon digging holes for Trish to plant tomatoes.
Trish, planting tomatoes
Trish and Shon working to get done before dark.
Good little helper, Grady!











5 comments:
Looks like it will be a huge garden! Hope you get all of the help that you need from Shon and Kenyon's families. YUMMY!!
I think that is great you all decided to go in on the garden together. Many hands make light work. And the harvest can be enjoyed by all of you.
Okay, that is one awesome garden. Good for you, it is one of my favorite things... AND just for the record, I went to the cheese store in Beaver twice this weekend and they DID NOT have the cherry bars!! What gives??? and when I inquired they gave me these blank stares as if they had never heard of them, soooo am I off my rocker??? Let me know, it wouldn't be the first time...
Every year we have had a garden and grandpa's. We share it with Lowell. Every Monday we have Family "HOE" Evening. Being Princes we then have a FHE treat--rootbeer floats or what have you. Where is this garden of yours?
Good Luck. Love ya, Deanna
Looks great! Where is it? I, too, love the yearly struggle to extract food from the good earth. Unfortunately, our earth isn't quite as good here and I'm sure I'll be jealous of your garden later this summer. Plus, yours is bigger! Hope you're having a great summer. We hope to come down in the fall and would love to see you!
Post a Comment