This story happened in the early 1980's. I'm not exactly sure what year. Our family was living in Grandpa Prince's old house in New Harmony, right next to my parents. My mother, Camilla, came running over and told Kenyon and I that Aunt Marva had stopped and went in their house to take something or visit or something, and thought she had the car in park. When they came back out of the house, her car was going around in perfect circles...............BACKWARDS!!! It was right in the middle of the road in front of Mom and Dads house, which is on main street in New Harmony. Aunt Marva kept trying to chase it around and jump in it to get it stopped. Mom would grab her and pull her back because she was afraid she would get pulled under the car and get run over. She was ringing her hands and about to have a fit wondering what to do. Mom and I couldn't figure out any men who would be in town, because everyone who would be of any help, had gone to Cedar to work for the day. She finally thought of Kenny Lundgren and went in the house to call him and he wasn't home. In the meantime, the car is still going round and round. Uncle Vivian is standing up in their picture window watching the whole event, which is another story, which I will tell at the end. We were just at a loss as to what to do and finally, Mom went in the house and came out with
Dad's bedroll that he took on the back of his horse. It probably weighed as much as she did. Well, she waited until the car came her way and she threw it under the wheels and it made the car go straight.....over to the school lot and it hit a tree over there and that made it go straight again...............right towards Uncle Lyle and Aunt Venice's house. We were about to die. Well, it crashed into Uncle Lyle's fence. They must not have been home, because I don't remember telling them or having them come out of the house. Aunt Marva got in and drove off up to her house to get Uncle Vivian, who by the way had had chest pains that morning and Aunt Marva was going to take hom to the Dr. because they thought he was having a heart attack. She had been to the Post Office and was on her way back to get Uncle Vivian when she stopped at Mom's. (For what, I don't know). I remember Uncle Vivian saying later............"I wondered what the ---- Marva was doing down there going around in circles in the street, when I was up here having a heart attack". When we talk about it now, it is one of the funniest things that ever happened, but at the time, it was a very serious event!
Number 12
1 year ago




3 comments:
This is my favorite New Harmony story of all time. Thanks for writing it. It is a treasure.
Brent
Ohhhh, that story always makes me chuckle....thanks Claude!!
Talonnie
That story is funny every time I hear it. Thanks for keeping it alive.
Post a Comment